The popularity of golf betting is growing every day. People love the options it provides — such as live betting, which has shot-by-shot and hole-by-hole markets.
What’s more, golf is played year-round. From the PGA Tour and European Tour to various exhibition events like The Match, there’s always an opportunity to lay down a golf wager.
Golf betting has now reached California, and we will introduce you to the best golf betting sites and apps in CA, top-tier tournaments and events, popular types of golf bets, and the best golf betting odds — simply put, we will show you how to bet on golf.
Best golf betting apps in CA
DraftKings is our top choice for online golf betting in California. There’s extensive coverage of golf tournaments, from majors and the European Tour to prestigious ladies’ competitions like the Solheim Cup.
If you click on Golf in the sports menu, you’ll find several top-tier events, either upcoming or live. From there, you can select View All and check out the whole calendar of tournaments with early futures odds. The events that are taking place at the moment will be labeled LIVE.
Golf betting odds on DraftKings Sportsbook are commonly enhanced (look for the green megaphone icon indicating live odds boosts). Here are just a few types of golf bets DraftKings offers:
- Top 5
- Top 10
- Top 20
- Round finishes
- Hole winner
- Hole grouping matchups
No matter which sport you’re betting on, the FanDuel betting app is always a good choice. In this sportsbook, you can find very competitive golf odds, frequent odds boosts, a long list of markets for every major event, and excellent options for live betting.
By selecting Golf from the list of sports and going to the All Tournaments tab, you will be able to see the future events and available outright bets. Some of the golf tournaments covered by FanDuel include Open Championship, U.S. Open, The Masters, PGA Championship, Memorial Tournament, Porsche European Open, Presidents Cup, and more.
Here’s a portion of live and pre-tournament golf betting markets available on the FanDuel app and website:
- Round leader
- Hole scores
- Hole winners
- Top [country] golfer
When it comes to online golf betting, BetMGM is another leading CA sportsbook with plenty to offer. It features competitive PGA tournament odds, a diverse market selection, and excellent live betting options. BetMGM also has neat statistics and tournament trackers, and it offers live streams for certain events.
All the key tournaments from the PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, and European Tour are available, together with various exhibitions. BetMGM also surprises customers with occasional special bets. For instance, for the 2022 season, featured a “to win a major in 2022” special with around three dozen participants.
Otherwise, the types of golf bets on the BetMGM sports app are relatively standard, including but not limited to:
- Hole winner
- Hole score
- Round leader
How to download a betting app and bet golf live
If you want to start betting on golf from your mobile device, you should download one of the many CA sportsbook apps:
- Go to Google Play or App Store and search for the app or find download links on the website of the sportsbook you’ve opted for.
- Download and install the app on your device.
- Power up the app and create an account or log in to your existing account. To register, you must share some personal details, like full name, address, email, last four digits of your Social Security number, and more.
- Complete a deposit. If you’re a new customer, you’ll get to claim the sportsbook’s welcome offer — however, this is optional.
Once everything has been set up, find golf from the list of sports. If there’s a tournament underway, you will also be able to find it in the live betting section.
Check out the available betting options for the tournament in question. These usually include the tournament winner, current hole winner and score, matchups, and more. Tap on the corresponding bet, and it will appear on your bet slip. Type in the desired stake, and confirm the wager.
Live golf betting is done on an app due to its time-sensitive nature. This way, you’ll never miss the opportunity to make a bet.
How does golf betting work?
Many people think that golf betting is similar to betting among friends on a golf course; however, this is not the case. Namely, when betting on golf via sportsbooks, you will be betting on professionals and their performance in a given event.
There are many ways to bet on golf in California online sportsbooks. Here’s how some of the most common ones work:
- To win — Also called “winner” or “tournament winner,” this is the most straightforward golf bet. It simply requires you to predict which golfer will win the tournament.
- the field — Choose this bet if you believe that anyone other than the selected golfer will win.
- Head-to-head (matchups) — With this type of bet, you will get to predict who will finish better between two selected golfers.
- Group matchups — Group matchups are similar to head-to-head: the only difference is that you’ll be guessing the best finisher out of three or more golfers.
- Each way — Here, you will be betting on the golfer to either win or finish in one of the top spots. It essentially consists of two bets, a win bet and a place bet at usually one-quarter of the outright winner odds for top 5 finishes and one-fifth for top 8. If the golfer wins, both bets are paid out, but if they just place, only the second portion of the bet is paid out.
- First-round leader — You are required to guess who will lead after the first round. In live golf betting, you can predict the leader after every round.
- Top 5, 10, 20, etc. — This bet allows you to predict whether a player will finish in one of the top spots.
- Nationality — Here, you can bet on a golfer to finish best out of all the players from their country or continent — for instance, top American, top Australian, top European, top Asian, and others.
- Golf prop bets — These situational golf bets allow you to guess whether there will be a hole-in-one, if a playoff will occur, whether the winner will be over or under 30 years old, how many eagles or birdies will be on a particular hole, and more.
Live golf odds
When sports betting is available in California, we will update this section with up-to-the-minute golf odds. In the meantime, let’s discuss some of the most common golf sports betting events.
Golf Majors odds
The most exciting time to be betting golf online is during one of the four majors — the Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open, and Open Championship.
Masters betting odds
The Masters is usually the first major in the PGA calendar. It is traditionally played at the Augusta National Golf Club. Approach play and putting usually play a big role at the Masters, so experienced putters tend to do well.
Apart from the standard bets like the winner, top 20, head-to-head, and others, the Masters usually has a special prop bet revolving around the Amen Corner — the 11th, 12th, and 13th holes at the Augusta Course.
U.S. Open betting odds
The middle of June is the time for the U.S. Open, and you can expect to see a long list of American and international players there. Like any other major, U.S. Open betting includes the tournament winner, top 20 finish, matchups, and a set of exciting props.
When choosing a potential winner, make sure to factor in the driving distance and accuracy, which have traditionally been very important at this major.
British Open (Open Championship) betting odds
British Open (or simply called the Open) is the oldest organized golf tournament in the world. It typically takes place in St. Andrews, Scotland, the birthplace of golf.
At the British Open, link courses and unpredictable weather make for a rather different playstyle compared to American majors. Those with experience in playing links golf are typically favored here, and the tournament is often won by Europeans. It’s also advisable not to back youngsters since they are not used to this sort of style and terrain, especially if it’s their first time playing here.
PGA Championship betting odds
The PGA Championship is the professionals-only major. It used to be the last major of the season, but it was moved to May in the PGA calendar.
When it comes to betting on the PGA Championship, you can apply the same tactics as with the U.S. Open, where power and driving distance seem to be the most valued skill sets.
Golf odds — California PGA Events
The PGA Tour often makes stops in California, with some of the most popular CA tournaments being:
- Fortinet Championship
- American Express Desert Classic
- Farmers Insurance Open
- AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
- Genesis Invitational
- Barracuda Championship
Golf betting odds boost/promos
All top CA betting sites and apps have welcome bonuses in the form of free bets, risk-free bets, or site credits that you can use on golf and other sports.
Meanwhile, you can find golf-specific odds boosts, especially during majors and other notable tournaments. For example, FanDuel once boosted the odds that Tiger Woods would shoot 70 or under in the first round of the PGA Championship, bumping them from +175 to +300.
Bet on Ryder Cup/President’s Cup
The Ryder Cup and the President’s Cup are the biggest team competitions in men’s golf, pinning the top American golfers against the best players from Europe and the rest of the world.
The unique format of these tournaments makes them rather interesting to bettors, who can back not only their favorite golfers but also entire teams.