DraftKings Sportsbook in California – 2023 Legal Update
Disclaimer: DraftKings Sportsbook is not yet available in California. This review is speculative, based on the DraftKings Sportsbook app where it is available. We will update this review once DraftKings launches in California.
DraftKings was one of the main companies to popularize online daily fantasy sports and is now one of the leading US sportsbooks. It offers a light and functional app, competitive sign-up bonus, solid odds, easy registration, and a range of betting options, among other things.
For the sign-up bonus, new customers at DraftKings can get a 20% first deposit match up to $1,000, along with a $50 bonus bet. Many other promos, as well as daily odds and profit boosts, await both new and regular customers.
While neither DraftKings nor any other online sportsbook is legal in California at the moment, should that change, you can bet that a wave of books will be jockeying for position in the state. Read on for a review of what DraftKings would have to offer California sports bettors in such a situation.
- User experience: One of the most user-friendly betting sites and apps.
- Odds: Often has best or second-best pricing among CA sportsbooks.
- Promos: Offers plenty of ways to boost your bankroll through sign-up deals, regular promos, free-to-play pools, and loyalty perks.
- Best feature: Stats Hub offers a deep look into the numbers and analytics of each featured event, helping you make a more knowledgeable wager.
DraftKings California bonus code for June 2023
You don’t need a DraftKings California bonus code to claim the top DraftKings Sportsbook sign-up bonus or the DraftKings deposit bonus. Just create an account via the instructions below.
|DraftKings California Bonus Code||None needed|
|Deposit Bonus||• 20% up to $1,000
• Plus $50 bonus bet
|Bonus Terms and Conditions||• Minimum $5 deposit
• Unlock $1 in credits for every $25 bet at minimum -300 odds
• 90 days to reach playthrough requirements
|Best Feature||Stats hub|
|Launch Date||Currently unknown|
|Last Updated||June 2023|
Using the DraftKings welcome bonus
The minimum deposit to claim the DraftKings bonus is just $5. When you meet that requirement and make your first deposit, the DraftKings California Sportsbook will provide you with a $50 bonus bet and bonus funds equal to 20% of your deposit. However, the funds are not yours to do with as you wish right away. Instead, you must meet a 25x wagering requirement to release the funds into your account.
So, for example, if you deposited $100, you’ll be eligible for $20 in bonus funds. Let’s say you placed a $50 wager on the LA Clippers to beat the Los Angeles Lakers at odds of -145. Whether the bet wins or loses, you’ll unlock $2 in bonus funds. To get all $20, you’d have to make wagers totaling $500, and you’d have 90 days to do so.
When might DraftKings Sportsbook launch in California?
While sports betting remains illegal in California, there’s a chance that could change. Proposition 27, on the ballot for November 2022, would legalize online sports betting in California should it receive enough votes to pass.
Even if that happens, though, and providing it receives no legal challenges — there is a competing measure, Proposition 26, that would only legalize in-person sports betting — the state would still have a lengthy process ahead of it to codify regulations and issue licenses. That means we would probably be looking at some point in 2023 or 2024 for sportsbooks to launch, and that’s if everything goes well.
Getting started at DraftKings California
To get started using the DraftKings Sportsbook app in California, follow one of the links on this page, which will take you to the sportsbook’s sign-up page. Once there, do the following:
- Select the sign-up button and provide DraftKings with your personal details, including a username and password, email, name, birthday, home address and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Install the GeoComply plug-in so the sportsbook can confirm your location.
The registration form will also contain a field where you can input a DraftKings Sportsbook promo code, although you don’t need a DraftKings code for this specific welcome bonus. Once your account is ready, go to the cashier to deposit and qualify for the best DraftKings Sportsbook welcome bonus.
DraftKings Sportsbook app and ratings
DraftKings boasts one of the top betting apps among legal online sportsbooks. The navigation and layout leave almost nothing to be desired, while the app’s speed is also solid. Here are our ratings for all of the DraftKings Sportsbook app’s main performance indicators:
- Ease of logging in: 4/5. You can log in to your DraftKings account using the traditional method by typing in or confirming your email and password or via face ID. The face ID scan often fails, which can be frustrating, but this tech is far from perfect on any sportsbook app yet, so we’ll give DraftKings the benefit of the doubt for now.
- Ease of placing bets: 5/5. Finding the bet you want and adding it to your slip is straightforward and easy. One handy feature of the DraftKings sports betting app is the double navigation bar that lets you select a specific type of bet and then display that bet across all the games from that sport. Data density is also great, showing more info without the need for scrolling. In this regard, DraftKings is better than Caesars and PointsBet and about on par with BetMGM and FanDuel.
- Overall speed: 5/5. The DraftKings mobile app is responsive, so you shouldn’t have to deal with significant lags or delays. Moving between sports and betting options is smooth and quick, which makes the app ideal for making time-sensitive wagers.
- Parlays: 5/5. As soon as you add a second selection to your bet slip, you’ll see the parlay and teaser options. Meanwhile, straight bets stay at the top of the same screen.
- Single-game parlays: 3.5/5. You can turn on the SGP slider to see the available options. However, unlike on the DraftKings California website, where you can add or delete individual selections from an SGP, the app treats it as a single bet, so if you want to change something, you have to start over. Another minor inconvenience is the slight delay when adding each selection.
- Overall: 4.5/5. The DraftKings online sportsbook app is quick and provides great navigation and functionality, which makes betting easy and intuitive. The downsides are mostly minor.
DraftKings Sportsbook vs. FanDuel Sportsbook
FanDuel Sportsbook has been the biggest rival of DraftKings since the two of them only offered daily fantasy sports. They now compete as online sportsbooks and casinos and are two of the top names in online gambling. Here’s how they compare to each other today:
|Daily Boosts||DraftKings has a solid selection of daily boosts that usually enhance the original odds by 20% to 30%. Unlike some books, DraftKings offers boosts on games well into the future.||FanDuel’s odds boosts are usually available for parlays and props, commonly going above 40%. Still, the overall number of options is lower compared to some other books.||DraftKings|
|Promotions||DraftKings’ welcome bonus has a less-than-ideal 25x wagering requirement. However, there’s also the $50 bonus bet you’ll get with your first deposit. And there are plenty of periodical and event-specific promos.||FanDuel offers a no sweat first bet for up to $2,500. Many other promotions are also available, but it seems that DraftKings has a slight advantage in this area.||DraftKings|
|Single-game Parlays||SGPs are available for most popular leagues and competitions, including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and UFC.||Apart from the standard SGPs, FanDuel overshadows its competition by offering an SGP+ — a way to combine multiple SGPs into a single parlay.||FanDuel|
|Standard Odds||DraftKings often has the best pricing for point spreads and NFL underdogs.||The odds are solid at FanDuel, as well, with standard odds usually at -110 and most other prices being in line with or better than the market.||DraftKings|
|Top Strength||Between the pristine app, above-average odds and stats hub, it’s difficult to pinpoint a single top benefit. It’s just a great sportsbook overall.||FanDuel is best or tied for best in many categories, including the app experience, live betting responsiveness and same-game parlays.||Tied|
|What's Lacking||Many users cite unresponsive or unhelpful support and difficulties cashing out as the main issues, all of which can create a lot of frustration if you need help or want to make a quick withdrawal.||The relative lack of odds and profit boosts is one of the main shortfalls of FanDuel.||FanDuel|
|App Rating||The DraftKings app provides excellent navigation and speed, which is in line with few other betting apps.||But one of those apps is FanDuel. Game density, organization, and the ease of making a bet slip are all top-notch.||Tied|
When comparing two heavyweights like DraftKings and FanDuel, it’s frequently unclear which one is better. FanDuel often has better SGP options, while DraftKings tends to provide better sports betting promos and overall betting odds. In other areas, however, the two are pretty much equal.
Live betting at DraftKings Sportsbook
The live in-game tab is where you’ll find all currently running games on the DraftKings online sportsbook website and app. Once there, you can browse games by sport. Additionally, you can select a specific type of bet from a drop-down list and get a catalog of games where that option is available, which is ideal if you’re a fan of a particular bet.
The options for live betting are massive, with dozens available for every major game. Here are a few examples from LA Lakers games:
- LA Lakers to score next over the Golden State Warriors (+200).
- LA Lakers first to get to 20 points in the second quarter against the San Antonio Spurs (-120).
- LA Lakers vs. Sacramento Kings under 215.5 points with 3:20 to go in the fourth quarter (+100).
Of course, there are also loads of bets that you can also make before the game starts, including plenty of player props. For instance, you can bet on whether LeBron James will record a triple-double or if Anthony Davis will go over or under DraftKings’ line for total rebounds for the game.
These are in addition to standard moneyline, spread, and over/under bets. Period and half-time betting is also quite popular for sports like basketball, football, and hockey.
Banking options at DraftKings
You can add funds to your DraftKings Sportsbook account in California using a variety of standard options, including credit, debit, and gift cards (Visa, Mastercard, and Discover), PayPal, VIP Preferred e-check, Play+ DraftKings card, wire transfer, and online banking.
The minimum deposit is $5 for all methods, which is lower than the $10 that many other betting sites require. And keep in mind, when you sign up with DraftKings California using our links, you’ll be eligible for the best DraftKings Sportsbook sign-up bonus, which is worth up to $1,250.
You can use most of the same methods to withdraw, excluding credit, debit, and gift cards. Withdrawal minimums are $1 for PayPal and $15 for checks, while most other options have no minimum limit. The maximums vary between $25,000 and $100,000 (wire withdrawal has no max limit).
DraftKings states that all withdrawal requests will process within five business days, although it usually takes less. A typical withdrawal timeline is three to five business days, although checks can take more when you withdraw smaller sums.
How to contact DraftKings customer service
The DraftKings iOS and Android app features an extensive help center where you can get info about everything from deposits and withdrawals to account management, identity verification, rewards, and responsible gambling.
If you want direct help, you can contact the 24/7 live chat or send a message through an email form. DraftKings does not have phone support, but you can request a callback.
How to set limits at DraftKings
You can set limits in three ways at the DraftKings online sportsbook in California — time limits (based on daily sessions), deposit limits (daily, weekly or monthly), and wagering limits. To set limits, head to your account menu and then the limits option.
The limits take effect almost immediately upon request, and you must wait for the previous limit to expire if you want to extend, lower or turn it off. There’s also a self-exclusion option that will block you from accessing your DraftKings account for a specific amount of time.
DraftKings betting locations and partnerships
Even though the DraftKings Sportsbook is not operational in California, that hasn’t stopped the company from entering multiple partnerships with CA pro sports teams. DraftKings has made sponsorship deals with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, and Sacramento Kings, as well as the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings.
Further partnerships could happen if sports betting becomes legal in California.
DraftKings Sportsbook California FAQs
When you make your first deposit (minimum of $5), DraftKings will match it at a rate of 20% up to $1,000 and also provide you with a $50 bonus bet. You don’t need a DraftKings California sportsbook bonus code to unlock this sign-up bonus, just register with DraftKings using our links. See full terms and conditions above.
The minimum deposit is $5, regardless of the method you use.
No, you can sign up and wager at DraftKings directly on the sportsbook’s website. However, if you’re betting on your phone, it’s much more convenient to use the Draftkings Sportsbook app in California.
You can download the DraftKings app via links on the sportsbook website that will take you to the correct page on the App Store or Google Play. And yes, the app is safe.
Because it is safer. DraftKings and other regulated sportsbooks won’t scam you, misuse your information or delay your payments, which you can’t say about many offshore betting sites.
DraftKings usually processes withdrawals within a couple of days, after which you’ll get your money in a few business days using most methods (PayPal, online banking, wire, Play+).