BetMGM Sportsbook California App – 2023 Update & Preview
Disclaimer: BetMGM Sportsbook is not live in California, as sports betting is not legal in the state. This review is speculative based on the BetMGM Sportsbook app in states where it is up and running. This section will be updated when BetMGM launches in California.
While we can’t say when precisely online sportsbooks might launch in California, we are confident that if they do, BetMGM Sportsbook will be among the first to go live. New customers at the online sportsbook can welcome bonus worth up to $1,500 in bonus bets.
BetMGM would bring a world-class betting interface, its signature loyalty program, and a solid slate of promotions to any potential online California sports betting scene.
In this BetMGM Sportsbook review, we’ll go over its promos and best features, test the sportsbook app, see how its odds and rewards program match up with the competition, and cover other key features.
BetMGM California bonus code for September 2023
Use the BetMGM California bonus code PLAYBONUS when you create an account at BetMGM Sportsbook CA to receive a first bet welcome offer for up to $1,500.
|Online Sportsbook||BetMGM Sports|
|BetMGM California Bonus Code||PLAYBONUS|
|First Bet Offer||Receive a bonus bets refund if opening bet loses|
|Terms & Conditions||• Must make a $10 minimum deposit
• Promo only applies to your first cash bet
• Can’t combine it with other promos
• Must use any bonus bets within seven days
|Best Feature||BetMGM Rewards program|
|Last Updated||September 2023|
Using the BetMGM welcome bonus
Once you’ve created an account and entered the BetMGM Sportsbook California bonus code, make a minimum deposit of $10, and your first bet with BetMGM online sportsbook in California will qualify for the bonus bets promotion. If that first bet wins, fantastic. You just collect your payout as usual. However, if your first bet loses, you will receive a refund in bonus bets equal to your stake — up to the max of $1,500.
For example, if your first bet is $50 on the Golden State Warriors to beat the Denver Nuggets, and the Warriors lose, you will receive $50 in bonus bets. Meanwhile, if you had bet $1,200 on the Warriors, the bonus bets would equal $1,500.
There are a few more specific things to know. Arguably the most important is that you can’t withdraw the bonus bets — you have to bet them. In addition, you have to wager your bonus bets within seven days, or they’ll expire. Also, note that you cannot combine the BetMGM California first bet offer with any other promotions, like odds boosts.
When might BetMGM Sportsbook launch in California?
That’s unclear. There is a measure — Proposition 27 — to legalize online sports betting in California on the state’s November 2022 ballot. However, even if that measure passes, it may face a legal challenge from the state’s tribal gambling interests, most of which support a different measure — Proposition 26 — which would legalize retail sports betting only.
If Prop 27 manages to successfully navigate all those issues, an exact launch date for California online sportsbooks would remain up in the air for a while as the state would need to decide on rules, regulations and a licensing process for online books like BetMGM.
Getting started at BetMGM California
To get started at BetMGM in California, the first step is to create an account at the online sportsbook. To do so, you’ll need to input details like your name, a valid email address, your date of birth, and the last four digits of your Social Security number.
You’ll also need to enter the BetMGM code PLAYBONUS. After that, you’ll create a password and choose what deposit method you’d like to use. Make a minimum deposit of $10 to qualify for the first bet welcome bonus.
BetMGM Sportsbook app and rating (4.5/5)
Overall, there’s a ton to like about the BetMGM app. The online sportsbook has reorganized and optimized the look of its website for a mobile format. Overall, we found the app to be functional and smooth. It can be a bit overwhelming to navigate the sheer quantity of betting options, but the search function works well. The app’s speed is good, and reviews have been more positive than negative. Here are our ratings:
- Ease of logging in: 4.1/5. The system is simple, and you can sign in with your face ID or fingerprint on most devices. However, the face ID feature has shown itself to malfunction more frequently than we would like.
- Ease of placing bets: 4.3/5. The bet slip is easy to edit and navigate, and it can display a good number of bets — in fact, more than many other sportsbooks — but you cannot navigate through other parts of the app while you have it open, which limits the usability of the app a little.
- Overall speed: 3.9/5. While this will depend on your internet speeds, the mobile betting app is fast in general. However, the app can lag when switching from page to page.
- Parlays: 4.8/5. BetMGM has a dedicated section for parlays, and it’s easily accessible within the app. There are plenty of options to choose from, as well.
- Single-game parlays: 4.3/5. Though there aren’t as many SGPs as you might find at a couple of other books, there are still lots of options. In addition, you’ll find plenty of promotions applicable to NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL and soccer SGPs.
- Overall: While there are certainly occasional causes for concern about app speed and face ID glitches, the app is quite well done, with a great interface and plenty of solid features. The BetMGM California app is expected to be of the same high quality.
BetMGM Sportsbook vs. DraftKings Sportsbook
Overall, we think that the two are very tight. BetMGM has the edge when it comes to sports betting promos and boosts, but that doesn’t mean it’s the better choice for everyone. That’ll depend on which aspects are a priority for you and also which interface you enjoy using more.
|Top Benefit||Rewards and Bonuses||Betting Platform|
|What's Lacking?||Faster App||Customer Service|
Betting & in-play options at BetMGM
BetMGM offers an impressive slate of live betting options. For the major leagues — NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL — you’ll find an in-depth selection of in-play wagers. BetMGM also distinguishes itself from other sportsbooks with more live betting options on niche and international sports like soccer and even cricket.
To give you a better idea, here are the standard betting options (live and otherwise) at BetMGM for a Golden State Warriors game:
- Moneylines: Bet which team will win the game, either before or during the game. For example, if the Warriors are -120 favorites to beat the LA Clippers, and you bet $50 on them, you would profit $41.67 on a Warriors’ victory.
- Spreads: A bet that incorporates the margin of victory. If the Warriors are -4.5 favorites over the Phoenix Suns, they have to win by at least five points for your point spread bet to cash.
- Totals (over/unders): You can bet on how many points both teams will score in the game, combined. Regardless of which team wins, it just matters whether the total score is over or under BetMGM’s line — for instance, 220.5.
- Halftime lines: One way to bet during the game is to bet at halftime — see what the halftime odds are, and based on that you can bet the moneyline, spread or total.
- Parlays: You can build a parlay from multiple bets for the potential of a better payout — but you’ll need all of the component wagers to be correct for your parlay to win. You can also make single-game parlays, with all your wagers coming from one game.
- Props: Bet on smaller aspects within the game. Will Stephen Curry get over or under a certain number of points? How many free throws will the Warriors get? Which team will reach 10 points first? And so on.
- Futures: Bet on events from the season far in the future, like which team will win the NBA title or which player will be the MVP. This one isn’t available live.
Banking, customer service & responsible gambling at BetMGM
How to add funds or cash out
At BetMGM, you have several options for depositing and withdrawing money, like debit and credit cards, prepaid cards, e-wallets and bank transfers. This should give you plenty of flexibility. Withdrawals can take up to five days to process but should be faster, especially if you use e-wallets or credit cards. At BetMGM, the minimum withdrawal is $20, and the minimum deposit is $10.
How to contact BetMGM customer service
While BetMGM doesn’t have the same phone availability as some other sportsbooks, online customer support chat is available 24/7, with relatively good response times. You can find it under “Help & Contact” on the site or app.
How to set limits at BetMGM
BetMGM has several responsible gambling options. In your account settings, you can set limits on how much you can deposit, bet or lose, or how much time you spend on the site. You can also impose periods of self-exclusion if you feel that your gambling is becoming problematic. Remember, never bet to make money. Bet for entertainment purposes only. And most importantly, never bet money that you are not willing to lose. If you think your gambling might be becoming a problem, call the National Council on Problem Gambling hotline at 1-800-GAMBLER.
BetMGM betting locations and partnerships
BetMGM has partnership deals with the NHL, MLB, PGA, MLS, NBA, NASCAR, and several individual franchises, along with other non-sports entitles, like Buffalo Wild Wings. Likewise, BetMGM CA will likely sign further partnerships with California teams and stadiums if it ever launches in the state.
BetMGM Sportsbook California FAQs
BetMGM Sportsbook is not live in California, but when it launches you’ll be able to use the BetMGM bonus code PLAYBONUS when you sign up to get a first bet welcome offer for up to $1,500 in bonus bets. See above for more details.
If Proposition 27 passes and becomes law, it would set the legal online sports betting age at 21 in California.
Yes, the minimum deposit amount is $10.
Yes, the BetMGM sports betting app is compatible with both iOS and Android devices and has high ratings on both platforms.
Yes, BetMGM Sportsbook would not launch in California unless it was licensed and legal in the state, and it would be subject to all the oversight and regulation that entails. Betting with a regulated book like BetMGM California is much safer than using an illegal or unregulated offshore site.