Many cultures celebrate the Lunar New Year. Some spend time with family, pay respects to the elderly and have feasts. Others rid their homes of any bad luck from the past year in the hopes of bringing good luck for the next 12 months.
A great way to usher in good luck in the new year is to visit a California casino.
Lunar New Year lasts 15 days and begins Jan. 22 this year
There are more than 70 casinos in California. Native American tribes operate all of them. California online casinos are still prohibited. There’s little effort right now to change that, as the gambling focus is currently on legalizing California sports betting.
The Lunar New Year in 2023 falls on Jan. 22. It is the Year of the Rabbit. Unlike New Year’s Day, which falls on Jan. 1 every year based on the Gregorian calendar, the date of the Lunar New Year is determined by the moon’s 12 phases.
While New Year’s Day lasts one day, the Lunar New Year is celebrated for a number of days based on the culture. Chinese culture celebrates from the new moon to the next full moon, spanning across 15 days. The start of the Lunar New Year is referred to as the Spring Festival and the closing day, Feb. 5 this year, is the Lantern Festival.
Lunar New Year is celebrated globally by around two billion people and throughout many Asian cultures. Some of those cultures include:
- South Korean
Last year’s Year of the Tiger represented bravery, courage and strength. People born during the Year of the Rabbit like structure, are sticklers for detail and are very caring.
Native American tribes do not generally celebrate Lunar Near Year. Many, however, celebrate Winter Solstice in the new year.
California casinos honor Lunar New Year with promotions and events
Here is a look at how some California casinos are recognizing the Lunar New Year this year.
Aqua Caliente Resort Casino Spa in Rancho Mirage
- Lion dancers on Jan. 28 from 1 to 1:30 p.m.
- $110,000 in table games giveaways, gift giveaways and dining specials throughout February
Graton Resort & Casino in Rohnert Park
- Lion dancers on Jan. 22 from noon to 5 p.m.
- On Jan. 27 from 6 to 11 p.m., one lucky winner pockets $8,000 in cash every hour
- Also, 60 players can earn $888 in free slot play
Harrah’s Resort Southern California in Valley Center
- Lion dancers on Jan. 29
- Also, promotions will be running from noon to 5 p.m.
Jamul Casino in Jamul
- On Jan. 21, there will be a lucky $888 Hot Seat drawing every 10 minutes
- Also, eight patrons can win $888
- One grand prize winner of $8,888
- Entries can be won playing slots and table games on that day
Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon
- On Feb. 1, the casino will decorate for the Lunar Near Year
- Also, lion and dragon dances hourly from 7 to 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays from Feb. 4 to 12
Thunder Valley Casino Resort in Lincoln
- On Jan. 20, the first 1,600 Thunder Valley Rewards Card holders will receive a pack of red envelopes.
Pechanga Resort Casino in Temecula
- Drawings on Jan. 20 and 27 from 6 to 10 p.m. each day
- Prizes consist of Easyplay from $250 to $750 each hour with multiple winners
- One winner of $25,000 cash at 10 p.m.